Satisfying my Instiable Obession with Typography

My undying love for art plus the wedding preps gave me this insatiable obsession with Typography and Watercolor. My fixation with instagram and pinterest post landed me to TYPE KITA. It’s a group holding different kind of art activities such as calligraphy and all sorts of lettering workshops.

Unfortunately, most of their workshops are fully booked. So again, my obsession didn’t stop there. I discovered Alessa Lanot’s (Life After Breakfast) Workshops.

I got torn between watercolor lettering and calligraphy, but for a change and a more challenging craft I signed up in her August 10 calligraphy class held at Pino Restaurant in Teacher’s Village Quezon City.

We started of introducing ourselves. There were about 10 of us who attended the class. Good thing most were first timers.
Alessa introduced herself and how she got inclined with arts. She gave a brief introduction about calligraphy, described each calligraphy supplies, what they are for and shared her dos and don’ts.
She shared the three basic rules, which I pretty suck at:

  1. The pressure is always in the downstroke
  2. Break down your strokes
  3. Space evenly
One of the do’s is proper handling of the pen holder and paper placement. It’s important to angle or slightly rotate the paper.

 Inside her goody envelope is Steel Quill Nib Set (5 pcs of nibs), 2 nib holder (straight and oblique), calligraphy hand outs and 1 Dr. PH Martin’s Bombay India ink (color of your choice).

Aside from the free stuffs, we got a heavy vegan meal too!


We started with the basic strokes. My first try is pretty messed up :) Good thing Alessa is moving around, checking our progress. She demonstrated how speed and strokes affects our calligraphy.

At the end part of the workshop we were asked to write a saying using our new calligraphy skills.
Our calligraphy pasted on the wall


Apologies for my first phrasal calligraphy. I attempted to do some flourishing which looked awful.

If I were to rate the whole calligraphy experience, it was surely fun. The experience literally taught me of patience, control and focus. Just to set expectation low, calligraphy is not learned overnight or over 3 hours workshop not unless your a natural. However, the workshop is a nice baby step because you get to see the whole process in action.
Should you be interested with Life after Breakfast you can check her workshop schedules at:


5 comments

  1. this is so cool! I wanted to try calligraphy because of Abby Sy's awesome works. Great post by the way :)

    - GT sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting post!! I just discovered your blog. And as what Milet said, I also want to try calligraphy because of Abbey Sy. I'm attending a talk with them this Sat! But I'm considering of attending a watercolor workshop instead of a calligraphy one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Milet and Miss 'Chievous! Thank you for your comment. I truly appreciate it :)
    I'll be trying the watercolor workshop soon.

    Just to share, if your really into calligraphy you can check out the The Flourish Forum. The forum is all about calligraphy stuffs and once you sign in you can download calligraphy worksheets for free!

    Sharing you the link: http://theflourishforum.com/forum/

    :)

    ReplyDelete